My Salted Caramel Nut Tart

Salted Caramel Nut Tart with a side of whipped cream
at the House of Honey café, Swan Valley, Perth
 
While dining at Taste Bug’s newest outlet at Bukit Indah, Johor Baru last August, I had the privilege to savour a range of delectable desserts.  Like anyone with a sweet tooth, I must confess that the dessert is almost always my most favourite part of the meal.  Presented with creativity and a touch of novelty, most desserts today are often too pretty to be cut up and eaten!

When I spotted Salted Caramel Ice-cream and Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart in the dessert section of the menu, I had to have a taste because instead of just being sweet, here are desserts that are salted!  And when I sampled these interesting desserts, I instantly fell in love with the contrasting sweet and salty taste.  But my favourite was the Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart.  As the layers of chocolate and salted caramel melted in my mouth, it sent me on a flashback to my childhood days when I used to enjoy chomping into chewy Macintosh toffee!


The chalk board at the café,
House of Honey, Swan Valley, Perth
 
I made a mental note to return for another taste of this delicious Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart and the taste remained firmly lodged in my memory as I’m now a fan of salted caramel.

In September, while on a tour of the Swan Valley in Perth, Australia, my friends brought me to the House of Honey and we decided to check out what the café had to offer for afternoon tea.  A quick look at the chalk board told us that they were serving Cake with Coffee or Tea.  But the cake listed – Salted Caramel Nut Tart – convinced me to stop everything and have tea here.

The waitress asked if I preferred ice-cream or fresh whipped cream with my Salted Caramel Nut Tart and for a change, I picked whipped cream.  I must say that the presentation was interesting and the portion, simply perfect for an afternoon tea indulgence.  At my first taste, I was blown away!  The tart was made up of almost 2 inches thick of salted caramel topped with a variety of caramelized nuts and a dusting of icing sugar.  I tried to make it last but as in all good things – it must come to an end…

My Salted Caramel Nut Tart with a topping of caramelized nuts and a dusting of icing sugar
 
As a true connoisseur of good desserts, I know that there is nothing more disappointing than to be served a dessert that is so small that it is insufficient to satisfy and in a portion or size that does not match its price.  At the House of Honey that day, the special was one price for my slice of Salted Caramel Nut Tart and a choice of tea or coffee.  Based on the level of my satisfaction, I must say that it was truly a fair deal. 

A truly fair deal at the House of Honey café for a slice of Salted Caramel Nut Tart with freshly brewed tea!
 
So if you are in the Swan Valley, make it a point to drop by at the café in the House of Honey to see if they have any Salted Caramel Nut Tart for afternoon tea.  Trust me, you will not be disappointed!

/pl

No comments:

Post a Comment